In a world of Instagram hashtag challenges, I find myself asking which one I should get into. Everything isn't all work, you have to balance that with a bit of play from time to time. Luckily for me, one came looking for me. Last week, my good friend Khoi Nguyen from The Gentleman Within nominated me to do the 11 Question Challenge where I take a break from style blogging and get a little personal so you guys can know the man behind the brand a little bit better. He was nominated prior and I learned some things about him and it's worth checking out at his website. Well without further ado, here are 11 Questions answered by Ian Riley.
11) What is "Home" to you?
Ever heard the phrase, "home is where the heart is"? Yea that pretty much sums it up. Home is where the love is, a place where I am accepted and appreciated for the expressive, crazy thinking individual that I am.
10) What is one of the biggest leaps of faith you’ve taken in your life?
Geez, the entire year of 2017 so far has been one big leap of faith. From launching this blog on on January 1st, releasing content every week not knowing how it will play out to purchasing my first home and not only becoming a homeowner but a landlord as well to conquering my fear of speaking in front of a crowd due to my stuttering. I hear people say "if your dreams don't scare you, the aren't big enough" well, I've been scared all year and it ain't over!
9) What’s the one superpower you wish you had and how would you use it?
I'm super fascinated with the brain! So my superpower would be the cliche Professor X type of reading minds. I would really like to know the thought process behind someone's actions or words. Did they really mean that? Was there ulterior motives? I believe the real you lies in you head.
8) What are some goals that you have for your blog in the short and long term?
Short term goals - get better everyday in video side of it, keep up with the consistency, hit 1k followers on IG and cross that 100 subscriber line on youtube (as of today 9/7/17 I have 320 followers and 56 subscribers. This would be fun to look back at).
Long term goals - every (well almost every) blogger's dream is to grow this into a business where it starts generating income, enough income to work from home and do this full time. I'm no different. I'm going to be bold enough to say (and also put it out in the universe) that it will happen within the next five years. I also want to the Fit Man Brand beyond cyberspace and get out into the real world, doing live events in my city centered around menswear and being a modern day gentleman.
7) What or who has been the greatest influences in your life thus far?
It's crazy how the thing that drives me is non-existent at the moment. As of right now I'm single with no kids but the thought of having a wife and kids and creating a life for them that gives them an abundance of love, security and stability is what drives me. I believe in order for that to happen I need to start laying the seeds now. Also, the videos I do are a snap shot in history that my kids can one day watch. I think about how cool it would have been to see a video of my grandma or grandpa at age 30? Who they were, the times they lived in, the thoughts they had, they didn't have the means to do that. But I do, with this little device called a cellphone. Now my kids and even my grandkids can see who daddy/ granddad was at age 30, 31 and beyond. As Gary Vaynerchuck would said, legacy over currency.
6) If you could bring one musician back from the dead, who would it be and why?
Damn I gotta pick one? I'd say Aaliyah. The way she died was to tragic and too sudden. I honestly don't believe she had reached her apex before passing but she was was truly ascending. Besides, she was one of my first celebrity crushes and I was hoping to meet her one day..........possibly take her out...........possibly marry her :) Honorable mentions: Biggie smalls and Big L, the way hip hop is right now, we need them!!!
5) Knowing what you know now, what advice would you give to your teenage self?
Figure out what you're good at/ passionate about, and commit yourself to it. Almost all, if not all, the things these adults are forcing you to learn academically you won't need later in life. Kiss a few more girls, skips school a couple times and create memories with your friends, you'll laugh about it when yall get older. Oh, and keep in touch with Sabrina ;)
4) What’s your favorite quote of all-time?
Damnit! Again? I gotta pick one?!? lol. Ok so since I said I'm fascinated with the human mind and this is the quote I'm thinking about right now (ask me this in two mins and I'll give you another) but it's a quote that is also the title of a book "As A Man Thinketh, So Is He" by James Allen. Great short book to read btw
3) Who was your favorite cartoon character as a child?
Panthero from Thunder Cats!
2) If your entire life was a movie, what would the title be?
The Unexpected. Almost 32 years on earth (Sept 21st) and I can vehemently tell you life didn't go as planned. From the dreams I had in high school back in Africa, to completing college here in America to the relationships where I thought "she was the one" to me sitting here typing out this blog. All have been unexpected. But that's life, it throws stuff at you and then you react. some things are good, others not so good but even though the title is The Unexpected I hope when people watch my movie (directed by Stephen King please), they would see a kid who adjusted and counter punched life!
1) Why did you start blogging?
lol nah but seriously, it wasn't a thought until I attended Style Con in 2016. Real quick for those that don't know Style Con is a conference where youtubers and content creators alike in this menswear space come together to encourage, motivate, share ideas and just flat hang out with everyone who have supported them along the way. Click here for my 2017 recap of Style Con. Anyways, I began doing videos here and there, started a tumblr and created a website all of which I look back and I can honestly say I was trying to find myself in this menswear space. But January 1st 2017, after talking to a few folks, I launch Fit Man Style and my reason behind it is I'm an athletic man that struggles with finding clothes that compliment my physique so why not document the journey, talking about my past experiences and learning and exploring new things. Good thing I did because the feedback I've been getting has been awesome and validated that there is a need for my content.
Hope you guys enjoyed getting to know me a tad bit better. In the spirit of challenges it's time to pass it along so here are 11 fellow bloggers I challenge.
1) Chris Browning Ordinarily Dapper
3) Greg Greg Style Guide
4) Rahiim Moore The Moore Style
5) Frank Hebert Distorted Concept
6) Jo Jo Writes
7) Renata Caple Renata Caple
8) Nicole Flint The Life With Nicole
9) All three ladies of The Fearless Self
10) Martine Edmond Experience ME
11) Jacob Clayton I Am Jacob Clayton
Here are my questions
1) Have you found your life's purpose?
2) Who was your childhood celebrity crush? Who is it now?
3) However old you are right now, if you could go back 10 years what would you tell yourself?
4) However old you are right now, if you could go 10 years ahead, what would you want your life to be?
5) If I was to chat with the person who knows you most, what would they say about you?
6) What is your fondest high school memory?
7) What are two bad habits you'd like to change?
8) Is your blog something you do for fun to pass time or is it a business?
9) What are 3 lessons you've learned from blogging?
10) I just wrote you a check for $1 million, what are you doing first?
11) When was the last time your volunteered time/resources?
Can't wait to read yall answers!